Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Career Makeover Wednesdays: Daycare Duty to Writer Extraordinaire

By Guest Blogger Gina Blitstein

Well, from reading Ellen’s last blog entry about me, I guess I have made more progress than I thought I had when it comes to networking. Ellen encouraged me to reach out to other writers to find a network in which I could gain knowledge and support in my new endeavor. It was actually rather fun thinking about who I have already come across in my travels in cyberspace who would be interesting to talk to about professional writing. For some reason, I didn’t feel nervous about this kind of networking. It was actually kind of empowering to go at this from the standpoint that, although I am new at the game, I am also nonetheless a writer.

I did phone a writer who I identified as having the type of career I visualize for myself. She was remarkable to talk to! She proved to be everything I hoped she’d be: honest, forthcoming and an incredible source of information and guidance! That was definitely the type of experience I had hoped for - and I sure got it! The result of that interaction for me is that I know there’s help out there should I need it. I don’t have to work in a vacuum. When I need some advice, I can get it without feeling like I am asking for the “secrets of the universe” from people - it’s just what my writers’ community does for one another. I like that sense of “community.” Support is a powerful thing.

Talking with an experienced writer also set me to thinking about my career in “bigger” terms. I’ve been thinking about what I have already accomplished, what I am on my way to accomplishing and what I someday dream of accomplishing. My new writer friend is living her dreams, so why can’t I, right?

Ellen gave me another assignment which was to write myself self-affirming and inspirational “post-it” notes for myself to use as a means to remember my strengths and aspirations. This exercise really took me by surprise! Once I sat down to write them, they just came pouring out of my fingers - 19 in all! Here they are:
  1. I do great work
  2. I am organized and professional
  3. People are pleased with the fruits of my labor
  4. I am intelligent
  5. I am a talented writer
  6. My work has value to others
  7. I am hard-working
  8. I am easy to talk to and a good listener
  9. I can help people achieve their goals
  10. People enjoy reading what I write
  11. Writing is my life's work
  12. I can earn a great income by writing
  13. I will work on my own terms
  14. I will write biographies of inspirational people
  15. Shy is not me
  16. I have interesting things to say
  17. The real me is not only good enough - she's great!
  18. I am proud to be a writer
  19. I have valuable insights
I told Ellen that writing these has helped me to clarify and condense my thoughts about being a writer - and about being the writer I want to someday be. Collectively they are my “mission statement.”

What a great week on the career reinvention front - I found both a supportive community and a mission statement! I feel so empowered!
 
Clicky Web Analytics